So i am asking myself, why Enterprise 2.0? Why are organizations implementing Enterprise 2.0? The implementation of Enterprise 2.0 brings in both many benefits, but as with everything there are risks associated. There will be organisations out there that try to block social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and MSN, but you have to ask yourself by blocking these you not only stop the risks associated but also the benefits these tools present. In my opinion the benefits of these social media far outweigh the risks.
There are various benefits of implementing Enterprise 2.0 within an organization.
When Enterprise 2.0 is implemented into the working environment, things like productivity and efficiency will increase. There will be increased productivity which will allow better team effectiveness. Faster innovation and product developments and improved team performances, which enhanced trust building. However i found that the most important issue where there is reduced use of email. Enterprise 2.0 allows an alternative way of communicating thus reducing email, which will ultimately increase productivity and efficiency within an organization. Here are organizations whose productivity, efficiency has increased due to the use of enterprise 2.0
- MWW Group – One of the US’s top 10 PR companies adopted a wiki for communicating on projects, tracking media and integrating new media services – Success in reducing the use of email in the organisation
- Specialised Bicyle – collaborate internationally with smartsheet.com – Success in introducing a global collaboration tool to increase transparency in projects
Staff engagement leads to better internal communication with in the organization, and with it also comes a more effective learning and deployment environment due to bringing such fast amounts of technology together.
- McDonalds – a real time blog and feedback Awareness platform available once a week for employees – Success in allowing employees regular feedback and access to a senior executive. Being a part-time worker at MacDonalds i can say that managers communicate with employees via Facebook group. This allows easy way of communicating to everyone and allows staff to engage with one another easily.
Enterprise 2.0 tools not only allows productivity, engagement better employees but it allows the reputation of the organization itself to grow. The internet is a big market place, why not advertise your organization through the use of social media!
- Coca Cola – an out of work actor and his friend started up a Coca-Cola fan page – Success in letting the fans create and maintain content – 3.6 million friends agree
- Redbull.com – established a facebook account – Success in gaining acceptance in the targeted demographic ( 1.1million fans)
So what are some of the risks that organizations carry with the implementation of Enterprise 2.0?
Security is a big risk in Enterprise 2.0. Implementing it may lead to a weaker and less secure network within an organization. Opening systems can make systems vulnerable to malware, which brings the factor of leaking/theft of important company information. Relating to information leakage, comes along loss of control, which means that the flow of information is no longer controlled by executives. Loss of control can also lead to negative internal comments within an organization which can also damage the reputation of the company from the inside as well as the outside. As mentioned before ultimately the benefits of enterprise 2.0 far outweighs the risks, which is why organizations will continue to adopt these social media tools within their workplace.